The reason I truly love this was because this look is so do-able with affordable clothing and doing your own twist to it. Most of us might even have the essentials in our closets like a long v-neck sweater, printed button down, and dark tights.
1. V-Neck Sweater: Most of us have the esstential winter sweaters like v-necks. Longer v-neck sweaters like the Dorothy Perkin's Black Sparkle V-Neck Jumper ($34). You want to pick a v-neck sweater that is long enough to go over a plaid mini but not long enough to complete cover the skirt. You want just enough to peek from underneath it.
2. Printed Button Down Top: Many of us have printed button downs in our closest (especially us working gals): florals, stripes, plaid...etc. Don't be afraid to mix up prints with the plaid skirt or to even go plaid on plaid, the sweater helps break up the prints.
3. Plaid Skirt: You'll need a plaid mini skirt, like the Free People Mohair Plaid Mini ($98), to fully pull off the look. The skirt needs to be short enough to hide under the sweater but long enough to peak out. Pick a mini skirt that is fitted and doesn't flare out to much.
4. Tights: Stick with darker color tights or stricly black. If your bold and dare to go plaid go with a dark plaid tight. I would stay away from plaid tights if you are doing a plaid top as well.
5. Boots: To take a grown female twist to this look try a dark mid-calf boot with a low heel like the Urban Outfitters Distressed Suede Boot ($69). This will give a work appropriate look and won't make you look to much like a school girl.
Here's how I pulled off my Tommy Hilfiger look:
Shirt: Abercrombie and Finch (SUPER OLD SHIRT...I think I had it since High School yikes)
Skirt: American Eagle
Boots: Urban Outfitters